*** ADVENTURES OF A MINISTER-IN-TRAINING ***

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My Day to be Gay

I'm wrapping up five weeks of some pretty intensive introspective classes. The final project in the Diversity Awareness class was to assume the role of someone in a non-dominant category. In our society this includes male, heterosexual, white, no physical or mental handicap, you get the idea. So generally if you're a healthy straight white male you got it made; if you're a gay black woman in a wheelchair you're pretty much screwed. And again, these are just categories to help us be conscious of how we relate to each other.

So I chose to be gay for my project. Being the only black person in room of white faces has happened more often than not so I decided to tackle an issue that would require me to stretch outside my comfort zone and force me to look at my embedded fears. I grew up with nineteen years of homophobia programming, and while it never got as bad as this [warning: disturbing video], there was still plenty to overcome.

So click on the link below to find out more about my adventure.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm proud of you O.

bill said...

Great and very thought-provoking work!
The very fact that there are so many ways of living that still draw criticism either from those live the same way or profess to accept everyone's choices shows us how far we have to go.

Unity of the Ozarks said...

I enjoyed your paper. Was this an assignment for ministerial school? We didn't have anything close to that when I went to school there. It would have been an interesting assignment. Blessings on your journey.

Cindy