*** ADVENTURES OF A MINISTER-IN-TRAINING ***

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My Daughter the Negotiator


I walked into the kitchen this morning to find a note from my sweet 8-yr-old scribbled on a napkin and clipped to a bag of potato chips. It read: "These are not for Daddy! respond? Love, Joy."

There are many nuances not to be missed. First, the implied declaration of ownership. She didn't write "These are mine" or "For Joy only". There's only two of us here right now, so if the chips aren't for me, by process of elimination...

Second, she actually gave me the opportunity to respond! In writing-there was a pen there too. I wasn't sure how to respond-there didn't seem to be room for a response; there wasn't even a question, but a declaration. So I asked her how I should respond. She said, "I don't know, but have fun with it!"

Third, she's claiming the chips, not planning on being affected by my response, but doing it all in Love.

Proud to be her Dad!
Posted by Picasa